Monday, September 13, 2010

Kara

Septembre 13 .1:45pm.  from Kara, Togo

Once again I just have a short amount of time to write and because we do not have power at the monastery at the moment I was not able to convert my writing from Word 2010 to the older version of Word. 

Tommorow is the first day of classes for the school  where I will be teaching.  I will essentially be teaching Third Year English classes to 6th to 7th graders.  I am excited but I must admit I am also nervous.  My French is still very poor but it is improving each day as a result of a lot of hard tedious work.  As teachers we are allowed to check books from the school library and I am hoping tommorow I can find some interesting resources there for improving my French. 

The monastery at Agbang is very isolated which is nice in some ways but it can also be frustrating at times.  Now that we have our teaching schedules we are hoping to make it to Kara on Wednesday (our freeday) each week.  Hopefully that will allow me to consistently improve my blog.  We have no electricity or running water at Agbang and the well from which we get our water is a quarter mile away.  This has led to several humorous and very humbling experiences.  The charm of carrying a bucket of water on your head that istance once or twice a day dissapates quickly. We live a very rustic life style but I have a lot of time to write read and reflect which is big part of my reason for being here.  Solitude can be difficult but it do wonders for the creative spirit especially because I have such a solid schedule to structure my days around.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about the lifestyle Col.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm practically melting at the thought of you speaking French.

    ReplyDelete